|Beth Patterson is a nationally recognized
artist and a signature member of the American Watercolor Society, the
National Watercolor Society, Watercolor West and Watercolor USA Honor
Society. She is also a frequent contributor to American Artist
Her watercolors have won awards at the
National Academy of Design, the American Watercolor Society, Watercolor
USA, Rocky Mountain National, the Salmagundi Club, and in many other
national, state and local competitions.
Her paintings have been on the cover and
featured in articles in Watercolor and Watercolor
Magic and have been published in Splash 5: The Best of
Watercolor – The Glory
of Color, Splash 6:The Best of Watercolor – The Magic of Texture,
Rockport Publisher’s The Best of Watercolor – Painting
Texture and in The Best of Watercolor – Painting Light
She is a popular teacher and workshop
Selected Juried Exhibitions:
- Watercolor USA,
Springfield, MO, 1997, 2002, 2003.
- Watercolor West, Riverside, CA, 1998,
- American Watercolor Society,
Salmagundi Club, NYC, 1998, 1999, 2000.
- National Watercolor Society, Brea, CA,
- National Academy Museum and School of
Fine Arts, (formerly National Academy of Design), NYC, 1996, 1998.
- Rocky Mountain National, Golden, CO,
- Academic Artists Association,
Springfield, MA, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002.
- Allied Artists of America, National
Arts Club, NYC, 1997.
- Audubon Artists, Inc., National
Arts Club, NYC, 1993, 1994, 1995.
- Catherine Lorillard Wolfe Art Club,
Arts Club, NYC, 1992, 1993, 1995.
- New England Watercolor Society,
Boston, MA, 1996, 1998; Pawtucket, RI, 1997, 1998; Concord, MA, 2002.
- Salmagundi Club, NYC, 1993, 1995.
- Texas National, Nacogdoches, TX, 1998,
Awards and Honors (partial
- Alfred Easton
Poor Award, National
Academy of Design, NYC, 1998.
- Adolph and Clara Obrig Award, National
Academy of Design, NYC, 1996, selected for travel exhibition.
- Lena Newcastle Memorial Award,
American Watercolor Society, Salmagundi Club, NYC, 1999, selected for
- Rosalie Pettus
Memorial Award, Watercolor USA, Springfield, MO, 2003.
- Purchase Award, Watercolor USA,
- Walter Foster Publishing Award,
Watercolor West, Riverside, CA, 1998.
- Art Times Award, Salmagundi Club, NYC,
- Merit Award, Texas National,
Nacogdoches, TX, 1999.
- Watson-Guptill Publications Award,
Academic Artists Association, Springfield, MA, 1997.
- Winsor & Newton, Inc., Award,
Academic Artists Association, Springfield, MA, 2000.
- Lana International Art Competition
Exhibit, selected by Wayne Thiebaud and featured in American
Artist, Campbell-Thiebaud Gallery, San Francisco, CA, 1994.
paintings have appeared in
the following prestigious watercolor books:
and were chosen to be
featured in articles and
on the cover of both Watercolor and Watercolor
One of her watercolors was chosen as a finalist by International
magazine in their still life competition and was featured in the
- 100 Ways to
Subjects, International Artist
- Splash 6: The Best of Watercolor
– The Magic of Texture, North Light Books,
- Splash 5: The Best of Watercolor
Glory of Color, North Light Books,
- The Best of Watercolor -
Painting Light and Shadow, Rockport Publishers,
- The Best of Watercolor -
Painting Texture, Rockport Publishers,
Beth Patterson also
writes the "Advice
from Experts" feature for Watercolor Magazine, an American
Artist publication. These articles have covered the following
- Succeeding at
National Juried Shows,
- The Fine-Art Greeting Card Market,
- 10 Ideas to Help Artists Improve Their
Work, Winter 2001.
- Marketing to Designers and Decorators,
- How to Loosen Up -- Part 1, Summer
2, Fall 2001.
- Reaching For Excellence, Winter 2002.
- Art Demonstrations -- Helpful or
Harmful?, Spring 2002.
- How to Keep the Painting Process
Meaningful, Summer 2002.
- Getting Started Teaching Workshops,
- Getting the Most Out of Workshops,
- Fostering Creativity, Spring 2003.
- Keeping the
Creative Spirit Alive, Summer 2003.
- Selling at
Outdoor Shows, Fall 2003.
- How to Make
Paintings, Winter 2004.
- The Best Advice
- Principles to
Guide a Career, Summer 2004.
- Nurturing Creativity, Fall 2004.
- Design Principles, Winter 2005.
- Achieving a "Finished" Work,
- Using Your Right Brain to See More
Creatively, Summer 2005.
- Great Starts, Great
Finishes, Winter 2006.
- Design Solutions:
Painting in Series, Spring 2006.
- Instructional Videos
and DVDs, Summer 2006
Biographies -- 20
Great Watercolor Teachers, Fall 2006.
Attitude, Winter 2007.